Many homeowners aren’t really sure when, if ever, they need to invest in replacement windows for their Houston, TX homes. However, it’s not as hard as it may seem, because all you have to do is look out for warning signs like the following:
- High Energy Bills – Old, drafty windows can increase your energy bills by 10 to 20 percent. If you see your energy bills climb higher and higher, your windows might be trying to tell you its time to be replaced. Replacing your old windows with new, energy efficient ones can greatly reduce both your heating and cooling bills. Also, new energy efficient windows can greatly increase your home’s value if you ever want to sell.
- Lowered Curb Appeal – Your windows are one of your home’s most prominent features. Beautiful, well-maintained windows make your home look beautiful, while old and worn windows make your home look old and worn. Take a look at your windows. Keep an eye out for old screens, warped frames, fading color, or out-dated storm windows. Replacement windows can instantly add curb appeal to your home. Upgrade your architecture with a personalized window design, or install larger windows to increase your home’s natural light.
- Nasty Weather – Texas might not see a lot of severe weather, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be prepared. Extreme weather can really do a number on windows. If your home has recently gone through a storm, take a closer look at your windows. It might be a good idea to replace them with sturdier, more weatherproof options.
- Recent Renovations – Historic homes are beautiful, but the years might be hiding nasty secrets in the windows. Replacing old windows on a historic home is an excellent way to increase the home’s lifespan without detracting from the home’s overall look and feel. You can even install historically accurate replacement windows with a little customization. Don’t let your historic home’s look and feel be hidden by old, malfunctioning windows.
- Brakes, Warping or other Damages – It’s easy to see when your windows are damaged in some way. High temperatures, or large amounts of humidity and moisture can warp your windows, while extreme weather, the passage of time, or mal-use can break your windows. It’s sometimes possible to repair a broken window rather than replacing it, but only if the problem is minor. Broken hardware, old weather-stripping, or old paint can all be repaired. However, replacing a warped, damaged or broken sash or frame is almost always a better choice than attempting a repair.
If you see any of the above warnings signs, or are in any of the situations, it might be time to replace your windows. If you’re still unsure if you need new windows, or would like to learn more about your Houston, TX replacement window options, Custom Windows of Texas is here to help. Please stop by and visit us at 1291 N Post Oak Rd #100 Houston, TX 77055, or give us a call at (713) 864-2747 to learn more about what we can do for you.