loader image

Common Window Replacement Terms

Common Window Replacement Terms

by | Jun 24, 2019 | Replacement Windows | 0 comments

It doesn’t matter if you’re an experienced homeowner or just starting out with your first house, window replacements in Sugar Land, TX can feel overwhelming. To reduce some of the stress, you can familiarize yourself with some important and common window replacement terms such as:

  • Window Frame – The frame holds the window glass in place and is usually made of vinyl, wood metal or a combination of materials.
  • Window Pane – The window glass. Window panes can come in options like double pane, triple pane and energy efficient coatings like low-e.
  • Window Glazing – The number of glass layers a window has. A window glaze can be single pane, double pane or triple pane. The more glaze a window has, the more energy efficient it is.
  • Window Sash – A window sash holds the window pane in the window frame.
  • Low-E – Low-E refers to a glass coating that reflects infrared radiation to keep heat in your home when the weather is cold and out of your home when its hot.
  • Bay Window – Bay windows are three windows joined together at a 30, 45, 60 or 90 degree angle to extend out past the house’s exterior.
  • Bow Window – Bow windows are similar to bay, except the windows are joined together at a 180 degree angle.
  • Head Jamb – The groove at the top of the window that allows the window sash to move in and out of place inside the window frame.
  • Upper Sash – The top part of the window, generally made up of a pane of glass set in a frame. The upper sash is fixed in a single hung window, but moves in a double hung window.
  • Side Jamb – Window grooves that help the sashes move up and down or side to side.
  • Trim – The trim helps the window frame fit flush inside the exterior wall for a tight, weatherproof seal.
  • Stop – Stops are usually made from wood, and are nailed to the window frame to hold the different window parts in place.
  • Lower Sash – The bottom window portion. The lower sash usually moves in both double and single hung windows.
  • Sill – The window sill is the lowermost part of the window, and it usually sloped to help water flow off the window when it rains or when the window is cleaned.
  • Block Frame Window – A block frame window is an ideal replacement window when replacing a wood sash of an old double hung model.
  • Sloped Sill Adapter – This mechanism is used to cover the gap between an old sloped sill and a new block frame in order to adapt the new window to the original sloping sill.

Custom Windows of Texas, located at 1291 N Post Oak Rd #100 Houston, TX 77055, can offer more thorough explanations of these terms and more. We have years of experience in the Sugar Land, TX window replacement industry, and would be happy to use our expertise to guide you to the best new windows for your home. Give us a call today at (713) 864-2747.

Request Your Consultation
close slider