You may have heard of Energy Star or seen their logo on window or door labels. But what is Energy Star, and how can it help you find the best replacement windows for your Friendswood, TX home?
Energy Star is a United Stated Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, agency that works to help businesses and individuals protect the environment and save money through energy efficiency innovations and standards. Energy Star tests windows and doors for different energy efficient properties, and rates them accordingly.
The government does not require Energy Star testing and ratings, but it’s still a widely respected and trusted agency with an excellent reputation in the energy efficient window and door industry. You, as a consumer, can trust their ratings and recommendations.
Energy Star tests and rates supposed energy efficient replacement windows to determine their actual energy efficient efficacy. But what makes a replacement window Energy Star qualified?
In order to be named an Energy Star qualified window or door, energy efficient windows and doors must meet the following requirements:
- Be made by an Energy Star manufacturing partner
- Pass independent testing by the National Fenestration Rating Council, or NFRC and receive certifications and verifications
- Receive NFRC ratings that meet the EPA’s energy efficient guidelines
While Energy Star ratings and certifications have specific requirements, they don’t have any required technologies or construction methods. Therefore, there are a lot of different ways a replacement window or doors could be rated Energy Star.
However, Energy Star certified energy efficient replacement windows typically have a few features in common. These features include:
- High Quality Frame Materials – Almost every type of Energy Star energy efficient window is made from quality materials like vinyl and wood. Vinyl is always a great choice as its strong, insulating and it reduces heat transfer.
- Double or Triple Pane Glass– Glass reduces a window’s energy efficiency, but double or triple pane glass can bring it back up again. The more panes, the higher the energy efficiency.
- Low E Glass –Low-E glass also helps reduce the negative effects of glass on energy efficiency. Low-E glass is coated to reflect infrared light. These coatings effectively keep heat inside in the cold months and outside in the warm.
Energy Star also rates windows’ performance by NFRC climate zones. The four climate zones are Northern, North Central, South Central and Southern. Each zone has a different climate, and therefore requires different Energy Star ratings for their replacement windows.
Friendsville, TX is in the Southern Climate Zone. The Energy Star website lists detailed recommendations for the Southern Climate Zone so you can be better equipped to find windows for your home.
Do you want to learn more about Energy Star and replacement windows? Reach out to Custom Windows of Texas, located at 1291 N Post Oak Rd #100 Houston, TX 77055. We have years of experience in the Friendsville, TX replacement window industry, and would love to use that experience to help you find the best windows for your home. Give us call today at (713) 864-2747.